Full Dental Cleanings
All professional dental cleanings at Pyramid Dental Hygiene Services are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by your hygienist and:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with dental instruments. Plaque can harden into tartar in as little as 24 hours.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation can lead to gingivitis and gum disease and can affect your general health!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during toothbrushing and scaling.
- Oral cancer screening: all of our exams and cleanings include a careful oral cancer screening. Our hygienists are trained to spot the early signs of oral cancer. In addition, we utilize the VELscope handpiece, which detects any abnormalities in the tissues before changes may be visible to the naked eye. Oral cancer is best treated in it’s earliest stages.
- Fluoride treatment: fluoride is applied to the teeth to strengthen them and prevent cavities from forming in between visits.